Pages

Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Hawaii 5K


May 2013

Hele on Kailua was a fun Mother’s Day race that I had the pleasure of running with my big sister.  This race was right in the middle of my not running, but doing ample physical therapy time, and was somehow a month before my first half marathon (long story).  And who doesn’t want to run a 5k while on vacation in Hawaii! 

I’ve never run a 5k like this before.  The course consisted of 3 loops through a park right on the beach.  I think pretty much everything is right on the beach when referring to Hawaii.  I started out too fast, because it just felt good to be running again.  The course was a bit hilly, and the humidity was, predictably, pretty thick.  The race was really small, small enough that people were actually checking to make sure each runner ran the 3 loops and didn’t try to Kip Litton the 5k.  The humidity started to get to me a little after the first mile, since it was still pretty cool weather wise back home.  I hadn’t run in warm humid conditions since the summer prior.

Looking at the Pacific Ocean while running was awesome. Birds swooping and screeching, bystanders clapping and high-fiving, and the crescendo of waves hitting the shore matched every step.  There was a recently married Japanese couple taking photos that everyone had to run right past 3 times.  I’m sure there was nothing more romantic then a bunch of sweaty runners huffing right through your wedding photos.  Sorry about that.  I might have been the girl who waved at the camera a few times as well.  Again, I apologize.  I think by the end they just gave up and were waiting for the race to be over. 

I finished in a respectable, but not PR time of 25:39.  Not awful for literally not having run for almost two months. 

Thank you Hawaii, for the awesome memories.








No comments:

Post a Comment