Pages

Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Florida 10k

So where did I leave off?!

Ah yes, a 10k in Florida in February 2015.

Two days before the 10k, my boyfriend proposed!!  So I ran the race with a sparkly diamond on my left hand.

So the race...when we showed up, it was a little chilly for Florida since the sun was behind the clouds.  We arrived really early, got our packets, drank a ton of water, and generally just talked to people.  I think we did a quick warm up.  By the time we lined up, the sun was up, and it was really warm already!  It wasn't a huge race, so the corral was easy to navigate and soon we were off.  My boyfriend fiancé went to the very front of the pack, and I stayed behind everyone who looked fast.

This was never going to be a PR, plus we had stayed up the night before drinking wine and talking, so neither of us were well rested or ready to run.  The first mile was nicely downhill.  Unfortunately it was an out and back course so we had to run up the hill at the very end.  Mile two was shaded and we crossed a little wooden bridge.  Mile three and four were very open, and man it was hot.  I really started to slow down by that point.  I saw my fiancé around this point and he was 3rd overall male.  Mile 5 was back through the shade, and mile 6 was up the hill to the finish. There was no crowd support along the course, but at the end there was quite a few people and it was awesome.  Lots of supportive cheering.

I ended up 2nd in my age group so that was fun.  My fiancé hurt his calf towards the end of the race, so he finished 6th overall, and was hobbling around after.

52:40.  Not a PR, but a good effort and fun race.  Crossed off Florida!!

No comments:

Post a Comment